Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Flashback 5

Sunday, November 15th, the ARM team who went to Armenia (myself included) are giving an 8 minute presentation at a church to sum up our experiences. Please pray for us as we seek to get the most important information across, and for me as I try to pull together a relevant, workable slide show. Thanks so much! Here's more from our trip - and the beginnings of London. ~c

***********************************************************************************
London, October 27, 2009 (afternoon)

Right. So, no time for a full update right now - that's soon to come. But, right now, I'm sitting in St. Margaret's which is right outside Westminster Abbey (which costs ₤11.50 to enter!) and it's beautiful. At each seat in the pews, there's even an embroidered kneeling cushion! Nice. The stained glass is incredible, the ceilings are vaulted, and all along the walls are plaques and reliefs. It's very beautiful...I think I'd really like Westminster Abbey - if I could afford it. :) I'd love to hear the pipe organ in here!

***********************************************************************************
London, October 27, 2009 (evening)

Whew! Okay - I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Saturday...I'm trying to remember what we did...and I can't! Dang. I think....yup - we did more work in teh dining room - scraping off the flaking parts and spackling them on all four of the wall sections. So, we finished that, and then it had to dry for a day. I think after spackling, we took turns washing up, and had lunch. We had a bit of a lazy afternoon - which was wonderful. Then, we sat outside to wait for Ruzanna. It was a really nice time of talking about ARM, brainstorming, and planning. I think it was quite productive.

Eventually, Ruzanna came with her sister, and we split up and went into town. Laurie, with Ruzanna and her sister, went to the bookstore (amazing miracle - they got there just after the doors had been locked, Laurie stuck the name of the book/author she was looking for up against the window, and since it's a book that only people who are serious about learning Armenian get, he found it for her, and she paid for it - all while they were standing outside - and it was the one book Laurie really wanted to get!). Jim, Otto and I took a taxi to Vernisage, which was pretty much closing just as we got there. But, I got a salt-bowl for Aunt Carry, and Jim and I wandered about a bit. We all met up at Vernisage - said goodbye to Ruzanna, and here sister, and went to the square. They've done quite a bit of work, and it looks lovely.

We wandered down to the Opera Center (down the newly finished promenade), and stopped for some serious ice cream at one of the cafes. It. was. AMAZING! I had the "Bad Baby" - which is chocolate ice cream with Kahlua, walnuts and almonds with chocolate sauce. Wow! It was good. Then, we went to - where else?! - Square One - for pizza. It was okay - too much cheese for me and my delicate intestines.

Then, we snagged a cab, and went back to Nork (where the ARM grounds are located). Our cabbie was great - he'd spent a couple years in California, so he was fun to talk with. Next: to bed!

Sunday, we got an early start - but there wasn't enough "rehab" stuff to keep us all busy. So, Laurie, Samuel and I hopped a cab to Vernisage. I had a lot of buying to do! I think Hayastan sent Sam with us because, apparently, someone tried to rob Laurie when we were at the clothes market, and Hayruit beat him up for us! (I love it when a guy will fight for a good cause!) But, we got all our shopping done, and on the way home, we stopped at an internet cafe to do a quick update.

When we got back to Nork, we had lunch, then went in to paint the dining room (the boys had primed while we were gone. (So, we did that for 1/2 hr., but before long, it was 2 pm, and Laurie and I had to change (again) to go to a deaf school in the neighborhood and give away flip flops. They were so happy to see us - we got photos, and we think they have enough space that we could build the whole (or at least most) or the Skokie playground there (which is huge!)! So - a very successful excursion. [Side Note: I hadn't even thought of it - but there are different signs for Armenian sign language. We learned sh'nora golum (thank you)].

Next, we went back, changed (again!), and painted the dining room a beautiful yellow ochre color. It looks fabulous! We worked until about 8 pm, washed up, and had dinner. It was a long day!

After dinner, we packed up, and went to bed. Oh yeah - Sunday morning, we also spent some devotional time together, and read some more notes from friends. Elizabeth's made me cry, and Meredith's made Laurie cry. :)

Monday morning, we got an early start, and had breakfast. We checked out our work in the dining from from the night before and took photos. We finished packing up, called a taxi, and said our goodbyes. Hayastan's brother drove Laurie and I to the airport in his taxi. We checked in, and Hayruit stayed with us (such a juju!), and went through security - where they basically unpacked out bags - and then to our gate. I bought some Ararat apricot brandy at the duty free store (apparently, they're famous for it), and then Laurie and I used up our drams with a last cup of sourge.

On the plane, it was nice to have a row with only one other person in it - so we each had 1 1/2 seats. :) I was able to sleep a bit, which was nice. When we arrived, I said goodbye to the crew, and we went our separate ways - they went to Chicago, and I went through customs and onto London!

I got my bag at the carousel, changed some money, and then got a one week Oyster card, and took the Underground to Leicester Square, where I switched to the Northern Line, and got off at Warren Street, where Micha met me. We walked to the flat, and chatted for a couple hours. I kinda felt like a disciple at the Rabbi's feet. Micha's an amazing man, and it was so good to finally meet the last member of the Sarac family.

Olgica got home at 5:30, and we had a cup of tea, and talked. Nicholas got home around 6:15 pm, and we had dinner together. We talked for a bit longer, and then Nicholas took me all over London in his car. Really - everywhere! Oxford Circus, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square, St. Pancras, King's Cross Station (where we stopped in to pose with the cart - Harry Potter style - at platform 9 3/4), Buckingham palace, Whitehall Street past Westminster Abbey/Parliament, Town Bridge (where we stopped to hang by the marina for a bit), Abbey Road (home of the Beatles), Nottinghill, past Harrod's, etc., etc. It was great. Then, we went home, and after a very long day, I slept.

This morning (after a good night's sleep), I got up, and had coffee with Olgica, and we had breakfast with Nicholas. Nick went to work, Olgica went to Oxford Circus for her work conference, and I got ready and set off for bus 24 (or 29), which I took to the National Gallery at Leicester Square. It was nice - great Degas, and van Gough - but pretty big. I finally got selective about what I was seeing.


Afterward, I sat in the square and ate the sandwich I'd brought, and then wandered down Whitehall Street. I stopped in briefly at the Calvary museum, and then made my way to Westminster Abbey, and sat in St. Margaret's church. Then, I went over to the Thames to view the London Eye. It was a beautiful day! I walked along the Thames for quite some time - up by King's College - to Holloway, and then hopped the Tube to Covent Garden.

I wandered the market, and then up to Neal Street for a sit at a Cafe (El Topo Cantina) (I really needed a break!), and here I've been writing. I think it's about time to head back to Olgica's!

(Note: Tuesday night, was fellowship group/Bible Study at the Sarac's - Very nice people!)

0 comments:

  • Post a Comment