Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Flashback 2.5

I broke up my second journal entry, because it was so long. Here's the continuation. ~c

*********************************************************************************
Armenia, October 22, 2009

Wednesday, we went to the Vanadzor orphanage and did repairs on the playground. There were some rotten boards and planks there, just like at the clinic. I think we'll have to replace one of the main posts in a couple years (termites), but for now, I think it'll be okay.

We went back to the clinic for lunch, and the staff gave us each a box of chocolate and a scripture verse. It was so sweet. My verse was Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." I wish I had something to reciprocate with. It was so kind. I'll have to send gifts and photos through the mail for all the staff.






In the afternoon, we all piled into the van to go see Hagphat. And, I mean ALL of us! The staff too! We drove up through the mountains, and crazy tunnels under the mountains. It was a beautiful drive. Poor Steve and Otto were on the floor/luggage in the back of the van. They were good sports. The monetary is truly beautiful. So many buildings and so much history. I hope I got some good photos - despite the lighting. It was good to have a "play day"/"thank you" trip for us all to be on together.


On the way back to Vanadzor, I gave Otto a break and rode in the back - it was pretty bumpy. But, we made it! We stopped at a road-side restaurant for some famous Armenian barbecue (AKA Kebabs). We cracked some walnuts and then ate dinner. It was probably the best pork I've ever had. When it was about time to leave, I knew I'd have to visit a bathroom before sitting on the bumpy floor of the van again, but the outhouse was darker than dark, and right over a very rambunctious river. So, being unable to even see the hole in the floor, I opted out...and concentrated really hard on the bumpy ride to Vanadzor.

We stopped at Ruzanna's so she could get her things for Yerevan, and dropped off all the staff but Armageddon (story on her later). It was a bittersweet goodbye. We dropped off Mariette (AKA Armageddon), and drove to Yerevan. I was pretty sick on the ride back (headache/nausea), so I tried to sleep as much as I could with Arman's crazy driving (seriously, this guy tries to emulate NASCAR in a 15 passenger van with bald tires on mountain switchbacks!), and then crashed when we got back to the ARM grounds.

This morning, I woke up Laurie at 8, and we had breakfast with Steve in Lova and Hayastan's domik. At 9, Steve and Laurie headed off to the Airport with Hayruit to get Steve on the plane back to London, and then on with his family travels.

Now, I'm sitting here writing, and then we're going to see the "big building". :)

0 comments:

  • Post a Comment