Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Taking A Day Off...Has the World Gone Mad!?!?!?

Enter week 8 - the last week of regular summer camp at Timber-lee.  Enter a somewhat exhausted Christina who needs a break pretty badly, yet is still enjoying camp and all that it entails.

Saturday, I was supposed to go skydiving.  Yup, I've always wanted to go skydiving - experience the free-fall, and freedom of it all...flying through the air like a bird before soaring to the ground suspended by a parachute.  But, it didn't work out quite the way that I was expecting...

You see, the guys who planned the skydiving adventure are my health office staff.  They had found someone to cover for them while they were gone so there would be an emergency contact, but he fell through at the last minute.  Since they had planned the whole thing, I didn't want one of them to not be able to go.  So, being the amazing boss that I am, I told them that I would stay and cover for them so they'd be able to dive.  They'd be back between 6 and 7 pm.  I didn't mind...really.  OK, I still really wanted to go -  but honestly, I'd been craving a day at home to get stuff done anyways.

So, I stayed, vacuumed my house, moved some stuff around, did a little dusting, returned some equipment, etc.  I had a pretty good day - though the guys didn't end up getting back until around 9:30 pm.  Which, unfortunately meant that I couldn't go out for dinner and dancing with my friends at 6:30 pm like I was planning.  Oh well.   Life will go on.  I did end up working a 14 hour day, however.  And that sparked this incredible urge in me to take a day off.  Yes!  Take a day off!!!  Can you believe it?!!?!

I worked Sunday and Monday (both long, but good days), and today is THE day.  It's been amazing so far!  I slept until 9 am.  Got up, took a shower, and packed up for the day - gathered laundry, and fun things to do and read.  AT 10:30ish, I absconded with the Radloff's car, and made my way to REI in Brookfield.  The freedom of the road was incredible.  I listened to Gershwin tunes, and sung along in the car.  At REI, I found a jacket that I'd been wanting on sale (it's waterproof and wonderful - I can't wait for fall!).  Next, I headed East on Capital Dr. to Milwaukee where I am now (somewhat blissfully) sitting at Alterra (Humboldt Blvd location), eating an amazing avocado BLT, and sipping a fabulous chai.  Ahhh....  Life is so good right now!

The Humboldt Blvd Alterra is the roasting plant for most of the Alterra locations, and I have to admit, I'm pretty fascinated by it.  I wonder if they do tours...if they do, I definitely want to go.  And I think today may finally be the day that I buy an Alterra t-shirt.  (I've been spending a bit to much, as I didn't spend $150 skydiving this weekend).

Plans for the rest of the day?  I'm not sure.  I think I'll make my way into down town Milwaukee and take a look about.  I've never really tooled around in the city, so I think I'll ask my Alterra "friends" where the best places to go are if I want a "taste" of Milwaukee.  I still need to laundry, so that may be on the docket (it's a bit low on the priority list right now, though perhaps it shouldn't be), and I think I'll end the day at Skibba's place.  Maybe Ruth will even show up. 

Anyways - it's a good day, and I'm reveling in my freedom!  Thank you, Lord!

0 comments:

  • Post a Comment